Friday, April 16, 2010

Moral Dilemas pt.2

Continuing the series here's part 2.

The Accident Ambulance
You are an emergency worker that has just been called to the scene of an accident. When you arrive you see that the car belongs to your wife. Fearing the worst you rush over to see she is trapped in her car with another man.
She sees you and although barely conscious, she manages to mouth the words “I’m sorry”…
You don’t understand, but her look answers you question. The man next to her is her lover with whom she’s been having an affair.
You reel back in shock, devastated by what her eyes have just told you. As you step back, the wreck in front of you comes into focus. You see your wife is seriously hurt and she needs attention straight away. Even if she gets attention there’s a very high chance she’ll die.
You look at the seat next to her and see her lover. He’s bleeding heavily from a wound to the neck and you need to stem the flow of blood immediately. It will only take about 5 minutes to stop, but it will mean your wife will definitely die.
If you tend to your wife however, the man will bleed to death despite the fact it could have been avoided.
Who would you choose to work on?

2 comments:

  1. No posts yet, ok I'll be the first. I have to be honest. If I was the only emergency worker to arrive( which two is standard )I would prolly work on my wife. If you know me you would know that I am particularly emotionally connected to my family. So I would prolly work on my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Bad question to speculate about. Emergency workers have criteria that they are supposed to adhere to about the order that they treat the injured parties. Without knowing said criteria, our answers would be flawed.

    If it came down to choosing one or the other, I would save the person who has a greater chance of surviving. If that is not an option, I would save the person on the side of the car that I am on. No point in thinking too much about it or they're both dead.

    ReplyDelete